Don't get me started. Actually do-because I don't get why studios can't get the Mortal Instruments right. Like seriously. It's always imbalanced. Maybe one or two characters are perfect for their roles but the director made them weird, or the main actors are nothing like their characters but the personalities are spot on, or maybe they change the story line so much that it isn't even recognizable anymore.
1. Jace's personality is on point. Unfortunately the chemistry between Katherine McNamara, who plays Clary, and Dominic Sherwood, who plays JW, fizzles. At least in the movie the chemistry was believable and slightly better acted. Also, to be fair, I feel like Jamie Campbell Bower would have been a great Jace if he had been directed to be funny-along with being snarky-but all we got was snark. Not really his fault.
2. They got Magnus and Simon right. Every way possible. next-
3. The atmosphere is awesome; too bad they made the institute a high tech, VERY occupied, 007 lair.
4. They have really good marketing for this thing. At least they tried with that. I can find more links to the actors doing extras, playing games, and going over fan theories than I can of clips of the actual show-and I hate to say it but they have a great website.
1. People like characters with faults. So far I'm not seeing any deep character development here. Which brings me to what I am most angry about-
2. The Lightwoods. WTF?
Izzy is not nice. The point of her character is to show that shadowhunting affects people different ways-and that it can turn you hard. Isabelle isn't kind or inviting, and the reason why she's so alluring and sexual is to piss her absent and aloof parents off, not just because. Also, Alec H A S B L U E E Y E S. There is a reason for this-and why Magnus is attracted to him-it's called a great backstory and using your source materials-but don't mind me.
3. Alec is a prick, but it doesn't convey it in the tv show like it did in the books. He's jealous-not an overbearing micro manager. Parabatai are not really explained either. I feel like they didn't show His and Jace's relationship like they should have in the first couple of episodes.
4. Luke? The actor is alright-being a cop isn't. Luke is supposed to be kind, unassuming, and supportive. This character is the opposite.
5. I left the big one until the end. I hate this Clary. I don't think it's fair to blame McNamara for that. She's too girly and not artsy enough. Too much priss. Clary was a baddass that matched Jace pace for pace with his impulsiveness. She walked the walk before she knew what she was doing. She was an artist and a warrior. That is not the girl presented in this show. AT ALL>
I'm still going to watch it because I can't help myself. I'm just disappointed. Maybe they can get in the groove of things and make me love it, but I'm not counting on it.